Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

D Day


Before I forget most of the details of the delivery:

The bloody show
Went to check the night before as the mucus plug came off when I shower. Had irregular contraction. Did not felt any consistent pain, so went back home. Pain increased and more frequent in the morning so went KKH delivery suite again. By then, I became an "expert" in taking tocograph pictures. Only 1 cm dilated and irregular contraction. So went back home again. Decided to have a good lunch before the real show.

Morning: Irregular contraction
Take a break

We went to Novena square to have breakfast as it was too early for lunch. Had 'Beh Huey Ji" (Butterfly Bun) and Soy Milk, then Gong Cha. Roamed around at Novena Square as most restuarants are not opened, then we finally decide to go have Korean BBQ at East Coast!
Korean BBQ!

My favorite fruit in heart shape!
As I enjoy the bbq, I timed the contraction. It was getting more and more frequent and painful. By the end of lunch it is about once every 5 min. XL suggest walk around East Coast Park after lunch, walking is supposed to help in the delivery. But the regular painful contraction made it difficult for me to walk, so we went home to rest. 

Had a warm shower and checked some email. As this is the first time, I am not sure how painful is the real thing, I convinced XL to go to KKH delivery suite Again to check.
I am admitted
A helpful nurse helped me take this
 Contraction is very regular, but only 1.5cm dilated. I decide to get myself admitted anyway,as I don't want to guess how much more pain I have to bear before the real thing start.

Me enjoying the first meal at KKH. Soup is really quite nice
The real show

Ard 9pm contraction is about once every 2,3 min. When I think back, the pain wasn't actually too painful, it's the fear and uncertainty that escalate the pain. I was pushed to the delivery suite in wheelchair. (3rd time in 24 hours) 3 cm dilated, the real thing finally officially starts.

I asked for epidural immediately, and was administered ard 11pm, then i slept through the night. While sleeping, I exercised what i learnt from the book 'Supernatural Childbirth'. I asked the muscle to work hard to have a smooth and safe delivery. I practised relaxation methods I learnt at prenatal class, visualised baby through the birth canal. Through the night, the midwife, nurse and doctor on duty came in to check on me. They assured me that I have good contractions. "Very beautiful contractions!" they would praise me, although I don't quite understand what they mean by that.



 By about 9am, I am fully dilated. Midwife taught me how to push correctly, I am lucky to be able to feel enough to push (without feeling pain, and no need for forceps etc!) and by that time baby's hair can be seen already. When Dr Tan arrived, I pushed for a few minutes and she is out!
Side effects of epidural I had:
1) Itchiness - throughout whole night
2) Shivering - just before the pushing till about 15-20 min after delivery.

Overall, I think the delivery process is smooth and rather painless, thanks to epidural!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Same as me! I had the same side effects of epidural but they were still ok as long as my delivery was smooth and painless! Epidural is godsend!

Dj