Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Attachment Parenting

I didn't read up about "Attachment Parenting" until it was mentioned in "2 broke girls" a super entertaining US sitcom about 2 broke girls. I mean, I heard about "Attachment Parenting", but didn't bother to find out what it is about. There are so many Parenting method, and all so confusing, and many times contradicting to each other... so i go by the natural method call :"instinct". (ok, i did try sleep training before, it was a disaster. so yeah, nv believe any parenting advice online... But since even "2 broke girls" talk about "attachment parenting", it must be something right? so i googled.


What I have gathered is that it is a method of parenting, by creating bond with kids, by breastfeeding, baby wearing, being sensitive to their cries and needs. This bond with kids will make them feel secure and grow up to be more confident and "better". This is contrast with the traditional method of instilling fear, so they will listen and follow what the parents say.

As a mother of two, all I can say is no two child is the same, so no method of upbringing will be suitable for all. But as the Chinese sayings goes, 物极必反, meaning if things are done to extreme there will definitely be a bad outcome. Yes, I agree we should establish bond with kids, and make sure all basic needs are addressed. Yes, I also agree that we should not always just follow what the kids want, we must establish in the relationship that we, the parent, is the boss. I believe happy parents makes happy children. So, our needs should be addressed first, before we addressed theirs. (u know, just like in emergency on plane, we should put on our mask first then put on for our children).

Before reading up, I always thought that attachment parenting is kids being so attached to parent so they will listen to you. haha... this is what happen to WL... she is very attached to me... it is very easy to discipline her. because she almost everytime needs my approval and attention. When I look angry, she will immediately stop what she is doing and almost nv do it again. (eg, like touching the remote control etc). When it is something more serious, and she became too emotional, I will put her in naughty corner, and ignore her. She wants my attention, so she will stop her crying and attempt to listen to me, so she will get her hugs... But for yl, I dunno, she doesnt seem as attached to me, maybe I did not spend as much time with her. She doesn;t really care if I am angry. I warned her about touching the remote controls and opening drawers, she will look at me and smile back and continue whatever she is doing.... >.<  Kid who is attached, do the right thing to seek approval. Kid not attached, do the wrong thing to seek attention.

Is it different personality, or is it really the bond between the two girls are different? I am not too sure... but definitely, it is much easier to have kids attached to you, so it is easier to discipline, easier to soothe them and comfort them when they are not feeling good or cranky. But, it is exhausting to be constantly wanted.






No comments: